Hello Mariposa families,
Welcome back to another exciting year at Mariposa! If you are new to our school, you are joining an amazing school which is the home of the Monarchs. Mariposa is beloved by parents, students, staff, and alumni. Mariposa is a compassionate school where staff care deeply about students and where students receive a first class education. I am honored to be your principal and I look forward to working with our students as they build a solid educational foundation that will lead them to great success in life.
Students at Mariposa live by the Monarch’s Rule:
Understand we are here to learn
Lead by example
Everyone is safe
This school year will be great as we continue our work with Positive Behavior Intervention Support and Capturing Kids Hearts in an effort to increase our capacity to develop positive relationships with all students, increase positive recognition for students, and facilitate opportunities for students to learn from mistakes and not to simply punish. When we care, students care, and learning will take place.
Our classrooms are technology driven and we are striving to increase the number of Google Classrooms. We have an afterschool Coding Club and we are planning to open a Maker Space for all grade levels this year enabling students create, tinker, and make things using math and science concepts and skills.
We are an AVID Certified school were students are taught research proven skills to increase their writing, inquiry, collaboration, organization, and reading skills. We strive to improve our student performance in literacy and math so they are prepared for college and career opportunities ahead.
Here is how you can help your student to be a successful learner.
- Students need to be at school every day and on time. Students should not be checked out early.
- Safety, Safety, Safety! Students must stay on sidewalks and use crosswalks. All students must be dropped off and picked up at the curb and not in the street. Please drive very slowly in the school zone.
- Cell phones in backpacks and turned off during school hours. Phones create disruptions!
- Read to your child nightly and have them read to you!
- Provide a quiet work space with minimal distractions for your child to do homework.
- Encourage your child every day to do their best and to be kind to others.
- Communicate often with your child’s teacher about their progress and your concerns.
- School Hours: 8:30-3:13 (Tardy bell is at 8:30)
- Breakfast is served from 8:00-8:20. No supervision provided before 8:00.
- Every Tuesday is a minimum day and school ends at 12:45
- Access our school handbook at http://www.lancsd.org and then go to “Information for Families”.
Thank you and I look forward to a great year!