An intradistrict transfer/open enrollment is when parents/guardians wish to register/admit/enroll their student(s) at a school other than the designated school that is in their attendance area within their district. This is also called a zone waiver.
An interdistrict transfer/reciprocal agreement is when parents/guardians wish to register/admit/enroll their student(s) at a school other than the designated school that is in their attendance area outside of their district.
Intradistrict Open Enrollment period for the 2023-2024 school year began March 20, 2023. Intradistrict Open Enrollment is open to residents who live within the boundaries of the Lancaster School District.
IF YOU HAVE A CURRENT ZONE WAIVER TO YOUR DESIRED SCHOOL, YOU DO NOT NEED TO APPLY AGAIN. IF THE STUDENT IS MOVING TO MIDDLE SCHOOL, A NEW ZONE WAIVER MUST BE COMPLETED.
If you desire to have your child considered for enrollment and attendance in a school other than your zoned school within the Lancaster School District, you may apply through the Open Enrollment process. The district grants very few zone waivers in an effort to reduce classroom size and regulate enrollment numbers. The number of transfers is contingent on the availability of space at the requested school. Enrollment in the requested school shall be determined at random by an automated system from the eligible applicant pool. To fill out your Zone Waiver application, please create a parent account online at https://lancsd.schoolmint.com/login
All Open Enrollment Waiver applications must be completed by midnight on Friday, April 14, 2023.
Parents may submit applications at any time of day, from any internet-capable device, through the online registration system. Those who do not have access to a computer or internet access are welcome to stop by any school office, the Welcome and Wellness Center or Pupil Safety and Attendance (44327 Fig Avenue) for assistance in filling out an application.
How do I transfer my student to another school district?
Applications from the Lancaster School District to another school district may be obtained at the Pupil Safety and Attendance office located at 44327 Fig Avenue, Lancaster, Ca 93534. Upon review and approval by the Director of Pupil Safety and Attendance, the form may be mailed or hand-delivered by the parent/guardian to the school district requested. Release from the Lancaster School District does not necessarily indicate automatic approval by the school district requested.
How do I transfer my student to the Lancaster School District?
- Interdistrict transfer applications from another school district to the Lancaster School District should be obtained from the school district of residence.
- Upon approval for release by the school district of residence, the form may be mailed or hand-delivered by the parent/guardian to the Pupil Safety and Attendance office located at 44327 Fig Avenue, Lancaster, Ca 93534. The form may also be faxed to (661) 726-5457.
- The deadline to submit interdistrict transfer applications is typically in April. Exceptions to the deadline may be made as space is available throughout the school year. Other mid-year exceptions include: the family has recently moved from the Lancaster School District to another school district and the student is already attending the school requested, or if the student has a sibling who currently attends the school requested and will continue at that school for the specified school year.
Do interdistrict transfer applications need to be renewed each year?
Interdistrict transfer applications no longer need to be renewed each year for most school districts within Los Angeles County.
What other school districts are nearby?
A partial list of other school districts some Lancaster School District students have requested to attend in the past include Acton-Agua Dulce USD, Eastside Union School District, Palmdale School District, Westside Union School District, Keppel School District, Mojave USD, and Southern Kern USD. Information about other school districts within California is available online at: CA Department of Education School Directory
Who can I contact for further information?
Please contact the Lancaster School District Pupil Safety and Attendance office at (661) 723-0351 x57461 or the Lancaster School District Welcome and Wellness Center at (661) 471-8400.
When notified by the Lancaster School District through SchoolMint, the guardian who submitted the application must accept the placement.
How to accept a placement after notification:
1. Login to your SchoolMint Parent account
2. Scroll to the bottom and look for the application status.
3. Accept the placement if offered